Many patients desire a straighter smile, but they don’t necessarily like the idea of wearing metal braces. If this sounds like you, Invisalign® could be an excellent option. This orthodontic system aligns the teeth using a series of clear, removable plastic trays. Many of our patients at Kreeb Family Dentistry have achieved the smile of their dreams with Invisalign.
Benefits of Invisalign
Invisalign offers a number of benefits over traditional metal braces. Here are a few of the most notable advantages:
Am I a Candidate?
To be eligible for any type of orthodontic treatment, patients should be in good oral health. This means they should not have gum disease, extensive tooth decay, or other complex dental problems. Should these issues be present, they must be treated prior to Invisalign treatment.
Furthermore, patients should have a complete understanding of the treatment process. They should also be fully committed to regular dental visits and proper oral hygiene.
What Conditions Can be Treated with Invisalign?
Invisalign can treat many of the same orthodontic conditions as metal braces. For example, clear aligners can correct:
- Open bites
- Gaps or spaces between the teeth
- Crooked or crowded teeth
- Rotated teeth
It is important to understand that, while Invisalign is appropriate for the majority of patients, it simply isn’t for everyone. If you have severe or complex alignment issues – especially ones that affect the skeletal structures – traditional orthodontic treatment may be required. During a consultation, your dentist in Huntersville, NC can determine your candidacy.
Invisalign Treatment Process
Generally, Invisalign treatment takes about the same amount of time as traditional braces. In most cases, it requires about 12 to 24 months, though this can vary significantly among patients.
While undergoing Invisalign treatment, here are the steps you can expect:
- Initial consultation: Before beginning Invisalign treatment, your doctor must perform a comprehensive assessment to ensure you are eligible. He or she will evaluate the teeth, gums, jaw joints, and other surrounding structures.
- Impressions: Next, digital impressions are taken and sent to the Invisalign lab.
- Fabrication of trays: A trained dental technician designs your aligner trays based on your doctor’s recommendations and treatment plan.
- First fitting: When your aligner trays are complete, we will schedule you for another office visit. During this appointment, your dentist tries in the first set of aligners to ensure a proper fit. You will also be provided with instructions regarding wear and maintenance.
- Active treatment: Approximately every two weeks, you will replace your current set of aligners with the next one in the series. The subtle differences in the aligners will gently shift your teeth into their proper positions over time. During active treatment, we will check your progress once every four to six weeks.
- Retention: Once the desired goals have been achieved, it’s important to maintain results. To do this, patients must wear a retainer to keep their teeth from moving back into their old positions. Your doctor will talk with you about retainer options as well as how often to wear them.
Learn More about Invisalign from Your Dentist In Huntersville, NC
Invisalign has helped millions of patients worldwide achieve straighter, more beautiful smiles. To find out if you’re a candidate for this orthodontic treatment, schedule a consultation with your dentist in Huntersville, NC. Call us at (704) 875-7200 or contact us online anytime.