Dental Implants in Huntersville, NC
Missing teeth can have a negative impact on a smile. More importantly, however, gaps and spaces can lead to a host of serious oral health issues, such as shifting, mobility, and even further tooth loss. Widely regarded as the most reliable and longest-lasting teeth replacement option, dental implants restore missing roots and serve as anchors for a variety of restorations. As your dentists in Huntersville, NC, we offer dental implants to bring health, function, and aesthetics back to your smile.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants are the next best thing to natural teeth. In fact, compared to alternative replacement options, they provide a number of benefits for qualifying patients. For example, dental implants can:
In addition to the advantages listed above, dental implants provide impressive results. In fact, research reports an overall 98 percent success rate.
Dental Implant Candidacy
To qualify for dental implants, patients must meet a few requirements. First, they must be in good oral health, and should be free from periodontal disease and tooth decay. If these issues are present, we can recommend restorative treatments to improve the condition of the teeth and gums before pursuing dental implants. Secondly, candidates should be generally healthy, and should not have any medical conditions that could hinder the results of treatment. Lastly, those who are considering dental implant placement should have strong, dense jawbone tissue.
Though dental implants can be placed in smokers, there is a much higher risk for failure. Therefore, we recommend that patients stop smoking altogether, or at least during the healing period. Furthermore, candidates should be committed to regular dental visits and healthy oral hygiene habits.
Dental Implant Treatment Process
The length of dental implant treatment can vary for each patient. In most cases, however, the entire process takes multiple visits and a few months’ time. Here are the general steps to the process:
- Treatment planning: The first – and most important – step in the entire process is the treatment planning phase. During this visit, your doctor will likely take scans or x-rays, which are necessary to visualize the health and density of the jawbone. This will also help us determine the most ideal location for your new implant.
- Dental implant placement: Next, the implant is strategically placed into the jawbone during an oral surgery visit.
- Healing period: Once the implant is in place, approximately three months of healing are required. This allows the bone tissue to fuse to the implant during a process called osseointegration.
- Temporary restoration: If necessary, we can place a temporary restoration to conceal the gap while your implant is healing – especially if the space is in your smile zone.
- Abutment placement: After the healing period, a small connector post (or abutment) is added to the dental implant. The abutment extends slightly beyond the gums and serves as an anchor for your crown.
- Placement of final restoration: A trained ceramist will design your crown based on your unique dental anatomy. It is then attached to the abutment with dental cement or screw-retention.
Dental implant treatment typically takes a few months longer than alternative options. However, most patients agree that the final results are well worth the wait.
Contact Your Dentist in Huntersville, NC
If tooth loss is affecting your confidence or oral health, consider what dental implants can do for you. To learn more, or to schedule a consultation with your dentist in Huntersville, NC, contact us online. You can also call our office at (704) 875-7200.